A breezy and light take on a traditional bridal look, which is perfect for a summer wedding, we were certainly mesmerised from the very first wedding photographs shared by Alia on her Instagram. She paired muted make-up with her sublime cream and gold Sabyasachi sari and certainly stepped away from the norms consisting of heavily-kohled eyes with snatched features, and a bold lip that we have witnessed in the past.
Ensuring that you include hydrating products with ingredients such as hyaluronic acid is the key to achieving this clean and faux au naturel look. Celebrity MUA, Ashima Kapoor tells Brides Today, “It is important to work on your skin before the big day, make sure you practice your skincare routine diligently.”
She adds, "Alia has got gorgeous skin, which looks amazing when her natural glow is enhanced,” and we fully agree. The Gangubai Kathiawadi actor’s bridal make-up was done by celebrity make-up artist Puneet B Saini, who kept the base natural allowed for her freckles to peek through beautifully.
So, here’s how you too can get a fresh-faced look at your wedding or for the next wedding you attend, à la Alia:
1. Acing a clean look is all about preparing your base well. Ashima suggests beginning with a rich, emollient moisturiser. Massage it gently into your skin and follow up with a serum-based primer to ensure optimal skin hydration.
2. Use a concealer for spot treatment only on any blemishes or pigmented areas, strictly where necessary. Using the less-is-more method, blend your concealer and foundation seamlessly with a damp sponge. Pro tip: skip any matte formulas and opt for a dewy foundation instead for the desired minimal coverage.
3. Set your base by brushing over a translucent powder lightly to ensure your base stays put for long durations. Ashima shares, "Alia's eyes had slight dimension provided by softly blending a light contour shade on her eyelids." To achieve this effect, take your bronzer and with soft, sweeping motions, apply the bronzer to your lids using a fluffy, blending brush.
4. Next, Ashima elaborates, "Use a thin, black kohl pencil that is smudge-proof for fewer touch-ups and apply it on your waterline.” Ditch your falsies for the occasion and, “Add light coats of mascara to lengthen your lashes," suggests Ashima. Don't forget the brows, for they can make or break your look—fill in the sparse gaps subtly and coat them with a clear brow gel to set them in place.
5. Ashima suggests using a soft, coral pink blush on the tops of your cheeks only to add some warmth to your face and advises against overindulging. “This will not only add a flush of colour but at the same time make your cheekbones look sharp. Pull the blush towards your temples for a more lifted effect.”
6. Finally, finish the look by, "Preparing your lips with a lip conditioner and using a lip shade that is close to the natural colour of your lips," says Ashima. And last but not the least, do not forget to add a small bindi to bring your look together.
Celebrity make-up artist Ashima Kapoor gives a step-by-step breakdown of Alia Bhatt's bridal refreshing bridal look, clearly a departure from the usual heavy ones.
Congratulations, you two!