Clinical psychotherapist, Dr Radhika S. Bapat shares when your constant unease and stress may mean much more than just a passing feeling.
Living through a pandemic is not easy. The new-normal is taking a toll on livelihoods, health and most importantly, mental health too.
Clinical psychotherapist, Dr Radhika S. Bapat agrees. She says, "Most countries have plunged into recession and this is being compared with the 1870 great depression. But if anything, humans learn from their pasts in order to evolve and be prepared for the future. So, it is important to understand that we are not alone in this, together - the keyword here is together."
Even though it is natural to experience some lows and highs in a day if your fears and anxiety are getting better of you, it is a good move to pause, reflect and seek help. Dr Bapat also adds that severe anxiety results in an inability to attend to our surroundings and here are the tell-tale symptoms:
1. Physical symptoms such as an increase in heart rate, sweating, dryness of mouth and palpitations.
2. Having trouble relaxing, despite wanting to relax
3. Muscle tension or pain (that is not due to injury) as a result of being stiff from anxiety
4. In some cases, people suffer from a “panic attack” where a person feels they could be in danger of having a heart attack or dying (which is not the case).
5. Becoming hypervigilant about the threat posed by the environment around us
6. Avoidance of triggers that cause anxiety is a common symptom to look out for
7. Constant negative thoughts or worries about future worst-case scenarios
8. Feeling helpless in the face of possible future danger
9. Feeling constantly restless, irritable or on edge
10. Sleep disturbances (difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or having a satisfactory deep sleep) as a result of this constant worrying are common in anxiety.
So, if you or someone around you is battling these signs, it is important to raise an alarm and get help. Do not suffer in silence...as Dr Bapat pointed out - We are in this together.
An unforgettable union in the history of royalty, here is a glimpse of the regal affair at St. Paul's Cathedral,...
From loose-fitted outfits to Instagram tactics, we decode Anushka's social media strategy to keep her baby bump a...