Being cooped up in your home at the moment sure grants you the liberty to walk around in your PJ’s, not wash your hair for days, and maybe function on an erratic sleep schedule. However, when it comes to skincare, “Oh nobody is looking at me at home,” certainly doesn’t make the cut. An excuse alright, but why not go the extra mile for self-care when you finally have all the time in the world?
Four skincare experts guide you on how to make the best use of your kitchen ingredients. It’s time for DIY face masks!
1. “All you need is tomato and potato. Application of tomato and potato peels on your face does a good job of getting rid of unwanted tan, and also helps your skin look more radiant!” - Dr Simal Soin, Founder Aayna Clinic
2. “A teaspoon of coffee and crushed jiggery (gur) powder, with a few drops of water does the work. Having cleansing, exfoliating and lightening properties, one can use this mixture not only on their face, but on their knees and elbows as well!” – Dr Jaishree Sharad, Celebrity Cosmetic Dermatologist
3. “Well, for glowing skin, use the benefits of AHA's! Mix 1/2 a cup of buttermilk, 1/4 plum or 4-6 crushed grapes, 1/4 crushed tomato and a little honey for moisturisation. Mix it all together and apply for 3-10 minutes. Follow this routine once a week, and don’t skip on the sunscreen afterwards.” – Dr Kiran Lohia, Isya Aesthetics
4. “If you are looking to achieve a natural, flawless glow, ingredients like sugar powder, honey, turmeric and yogurt work extremely well. Create a mask composed of raw milk and ingredients like honey and turmeric to hydrate and cleanse the face thoroughly.” – Dr Rinky Kapoor, Cosmetic Dermatologist
5.“If you suffer from skin pigmentation, go for an at-home natural glycolic peel. Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar with honey or glycerin to make a semi-solid paste. Apply this composition for 3-5 minutes and then wash off.” – Dr Kiran Lohia, Isya Aesthetics
6. “Take 2 tablespoons of oats and mix it with a teaspoon of honey and yogurt each. Moisturisation and exfoliation for the win!” - Dr Jaishree Sharad, Celebrity Cosmetic Dermatologist
7. “Well, guess what. Sometimes you don’t need to make use of any ingredients at all! Place a small-sized wet hand towel in the freezer for a while. Exfoliate your skin gently; apply moisturizer, followed by steam. Wash your face with room temperature water, after which immediately place the chilled towel on the face. By practicing this for roughly two weeks, you will soon notice a tightening of pores. In case you choose to skip exfoliation and steaming, you can apply the cold towel on a daily basis too!” - Dr Rinky Kapoor, Cosmetic Dermatologist
8. “There’s always something in store for the dry skin type. If you live with dry skin, you must ensure that you receive the benefits of omega fatty acids, essential fats, Vitamins and minerals. Mix soaked chia seeds in yogurt, or use 1/2 a mashed avocado, 1/2 a mashed banana, and add 1 tablespoon of grapeseed or almond oil. Apply this composition on the face and wash soon after.” – Dr Kiran Lohia, Isya Aesthetics
9. “An egg-white mask is the perfect way to tighten the skin around your eyes and lift the eyelid skin. The proteins present in the egg-white hydrate and tighten the skin immediately. Apply a layer of egg-white around your eyes, let it dry and do its magic!” - Dr Rinky Kapoor, Cosmetic Dermatologist
10. “This one’s for the oily skin type. Make a face pack consisting of banana, milk, avocado paste, and a few drops of rose water. This helps achieve facial glow and rejuvenation, and rose water prevents oiliness too!” - Dr Rinky Kapoor, Cosmetic Dermatologist
Hit refresh with these sweet styles which will bring around much-needed cheer!
Listen up bride-to-be, don't forget to wear your million-dollar smile.